Chocolate Covered Kiwifruit
- 3 green NutriKiwi, peeled and cut into 5 or 6 slices
- Paddle pop sticks
- 200g chocolate – 1 block (dark, milk or white) broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons light vegetable oil (grapeseed, rice bran, coconut or vegetable)
- Coating – cacao nibs, chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, hazelnuts), shredded coconut.
- Prepare the kiwifruit and insert a paddle pop stick into each slice.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave using 20 sec bursts.
- Stir occasionally to check when it has barely melted. Do not overheat.
- Allow to cool slightly so the chocolate is thicker and adheres to the kiwifruit.
- Place each coating in a separate flat plate.
- Pat the kiwifruit dry with paper towel, then dip into the chocolate so that only half is immersed, then roll in the desired coating.
- Insert the sticks into an upturned egg carton or a foam block and then allow to set in refrigerator.
- These may be eaten on their own, or used as a garnish on desserts such as the Chocolate Kiwi Mousse (see separate recipe), or a fruit or cheese platter.
These treats are gauranteed to be a favourite with the kids and adults alike. They’re super easy to make and even easier to eat. Simple, delicious and healthy (mostly). We hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
Choc Kiwi Icecreams – freeze the chocolate covered Kiwis and eat like an icecream on a stick.
Choc Kiwi Fondue – prepare kiwis on a paddle pop stick as above. Melt chocolate in a fondue bowl over a very low flame then guests dip each kiwi slice into chocolate and eat.